A Brief History of Brewing in North
"The Argos Brewery is for sale. Eidson and Osborn are endeavoring to
purchase it. They mean business." - Rochester Union Spy, March
|Hugo Wolff had a brewery of
1,000 bbl capacity that closed around 1885 according to The The Register
of United States Breweries 1876-1976 - M. Friedrich & D. Bull
|The 1868 Business Directory
for Indiana lists a Delphi Brewery, Geo Shillinger, prop. It was near the
Deer Creek bridge in Delphi.
Half Moon Restaurant & Brewery
2007 - Present
|A brewpub started by a native of
Kokomo on the extreme south side of the City along US31. The brewer is John
|Brass Monkey Brewing Co.
2008 - 2009
|Started by local
homebrewer Andrew Lewis, it was located in the basement of the Sycamore
Marketplace in downtown Kokomo. Using cut-open beer kegs as brewing vessels,
his 10-gallon batches made the Brass Monkey the smallest licensed brewery in
Because of the small brew
run Brass Monkey quickly became known for non-traditional beers that change
All sales were through the bar in the
Marketplace. Brass Monkey closed overnight when the Sycamore Marketplace
food court closed.
~1848 - 1870s
"Probably the first brewery erected in Logansport was built in 1847-8
by Jacob Kline, near the northeast corner of Ninth and Erie avenue.
This was only a small affair however, and a few years later he removed
his establishment to the north bank of the Wabash river, between
Second and Third streets, where he continued in business until about
1865, when he abandoned the old plant and erected a much larger
brewery on the hill on Fifteenth street, north of the canal, now Erie
avenue. This was successfully operated until in the seventies, when it
was abandoned and later the building torn down." - History of Cass
County Indiana, 1913
~1855 - after 1859
Schaefer & Markert
"Charles Luy, about 1855, started a brewery on Columbia street, west
of North Sixth street. He also built a large brick residence just west
of the brewery, now known as the Borges property. Mrs. Borges, being
his only child, occupied this house for many years and until her
death. Mr. Luy soon after sold out his brewery to Gotleib Schaefer and
Frederick Markert, who soon found it was not a paying investment and
it passed into "innocuous desuetude." - History of Cass County
"One of the leading industries of Clay Township in an early day was a
large distillery built on Eel River near where the woolen mill now
stands about the year 1840. It was built by Joshua and Reece Morgan
and operated first by Henry Fiddler It was afterward rented by Charles
Luy of Logansport who for several years carried on a very extensive
and lucrative business, A woolen mill connected with the distillery
was operated in an early day by Reece Morgan, The distillery building
was a large two story frame structure but all vestiges of it have long
since disappeared." - History of Cass County Indiana, 1886
"Conrad Martin started a small distillery at the mouth of Spring creek
about 1837 and turned out a fair article of "tanglefoot" where the
farmers so inclined could exchange a bushel of corn for a gallon of
the stuff. The place bore the euphonious name of "Hell's Half Acre"
Geo Rush, Reise and Joshua Morgan, Chas Luy, Jacob Fisher and Henry
Fiedler operated the distillery at different times for many years but
closed up the business over fifty years ago." - History of Cass
County Indiana, 1913
"As early as 1850 Charles Luy ran a cooper shop at the southwest
corner of Ninth and Erie avenue and in April 1864, Chas F Thompson &
Co. operated a large shop at this place, later by Miles & Torr and
finally by Harry Torr alone, and for many years he did an extensive
business and shipped barrels and cooperage to all the leading cities
throughout the United States, but like all the other factories in
wood, ceased its activities more than twenty years ago owing to the
scarcity of timber Arnold for " - History of Cass County Indiana,
The Indiana State Gazetteer and Business
Directory of 1859 lists "Luy, Charles, Prop'r Brewery and Dealer in
|Logansport Brewing Company
1866 - 1894
Columbia Brewing Company
1894 - near prohibition
K.G. Schmidt Brewing
1935 - 1951
|August Frost founded this
brewery in 1866 on the north side of High St, west of Fifth (412-416 High
Street). He sold it some years later to John Hurbner who sold it to John
Mutcheler who renamed it the Logansport Brewing Company. Eugene Prager was
the president and manager in 1890. The Binz family seems to have been in
The Register of United States
Breweries 1876-1976 lists the owners as:
Sold about 1870 to Jacob Klein. Capacity 650 bbls.
Sold about 1875 to John Mutschler. Capacity less than 500 bbls.
Became Logansport Brewing Co. in 1889. Capacity 10,000 bbls.
Became Columbia Brewing Co. in 1894. Capacity 12,000 bbls.
According to the Logansport Weekly
Pharos, Logansport Brewing was sold in 1894 to Ferdinand Krebs; Mrs.
Binz three sons Frank, August, and William; and George Schmidt. In September
of 1894, August Binz resigned as bookkeeper.
John G. Kelp was the first manager of the
Columbia Brewing Company when it was re-formed in 1894. By 1913 it had been
greatly enlarged with an ice plant, 45 employees, and produced 25,000
barrels of beer that year. Brands included Logan Brew.
"WON HER CASE ONLY TO DIE"
"Mrs. Bertha Kelp,
wife of John G. Kelp, head of the Columbia Brewing Co., died suddenly
Friday morning about 3:45 o’clock at her home 623 Miami avenue,
Logansport, aged 51 years. The news of her death came as a great shock
to many people, as they did not know she was ill. Mrs. Kelp had been
ailing for some time, but she was not forced to her bed until Monday.
She had been suffering with typhoid fever and death was the result of
a sudden change for the worse, which is peculiar of the disease.
"- - - at Winamac
Thursday at midnight when she was given judgment against the Chicago &
Erie Railroad Company for personal injuries sustained in the auto
smash-up near Rochester, Aug. 12, 1910. The ink on the court docket
was only dry about three and one-half hours when Mrs. Kelp passed
away. - - - She was awarded a verdict of $5,000, but the attorneys for
the railroad company asked for a new trial. Thursday the arguments
were made and the presiding judge overruled the motion, signing the
docket at the close, which was midnight Thursday." - Rochester
Sentinel, Saturday, March 16, 1912.
The K. G. Schmidt
Brewing company of Chicago was owned from the 1860s until prohibition by the
Schmidt family, Kaspar and his son George K.
George was appointed City Controller of
Chicago in 1928 but when he lost the mayoral election against "Big Bill"
Thompson in the 1932s he moved to Logansport. During prohibition he
refurbished the closed Logansport Brewery and, in 1935, re-opened it as the
K.G. Schmidt brewery with his sons G.K. Junior (secretary) and Ernst (vice
George K. died in 1939.
This division went bankrupt around 1950.
The ensuing court case involved Schlitz Brewing and wasn't settled until
The Hunt for G. K. Schmidt if you're
interested in duck decoys.
Brewery Workers Union No 78 was organized in Logansport in 1892.
|The Chandler's 1868 Business
Directory for Indiana lists a brewery in Jonesboro (then spelled
Jonesborough). It was owned by Robert Corder.
|Indiana Brewing Association
Marion Brewing Association
Indiana Brewing Company
1887 - 1913
|This was reputed to be one of
the largest and best-equipped breweries in northern Indiana at the time. It
was located at 1550 Railroad Ave (now 525 Lincoln Blvd.)
In 1909 it bought the local paper, The Dawn.
This was during a "local option" temperance campaign.
Brands included Bottled Tiger and Indiana
Beer "The Pride of the State". Peak capacity was 40,000 bbls.
"Marion Brewing association has made announcement that it will retire
from business at the end of this month. This is the first brewery of
any considerable size to quit business in Indiana since the
anti-liquor agitation started several years ago.
The Marion brewery is
a big one and for years it turned out a great output of beer. Its
owners were among the leaders in the brewing business in Indiana, and
in the state associations organized by Indiana brewers from time to
time. They were leaders and took a prominent part in every brewery
activity or movement. They were also powerful in local politics at
Marion, because there were more than a hundred saloons in Grant county
a few years ago, and nearly all of them sold Marion beer.
For many years,
however, there existed a strong prohibition sentiment in which for
years cast more prohibition votes than any other county. There has
never been any cessation of activity on' the part of the temperance
people of Grant county. Not only the prohibitionists, but the Woman's
Christian Temperance union has been strong there. Grant county
temperance people were leaders in the fight for the enactment of the
county option law and did as much as any other county in the state to
bring it about and they have fought to retain the old liquor laws and
to prevent their repeal by the democrats, so when the county option
law was passed and the temperance people had a chance to make the
fight they brought on a local option election and made Grant county
dry. The matter was fought through the courts and the drys won, and
the usefulness of the brewery at Marion was over. The saloons of Grant
county went out of business and the brewery lost its trade.
Later, when the
county option law, was repealed and city and township option, was
substituted, the temperance people of Grant county did not lose heart,
but they went at it and succeeded In making Marion and all the rest of
the county dry again. This was the straw that broke the back of the
(brewery and) it had to quit.
The brewery has
announced that it will turn over to the revenue officers whatever beer
is on hand at the close of the month. In some of the counties of the
state, breweries closed or greatly curtailed their output when the
county option law was in force, but this is the first time that a
brewery of considerable size has found it necessary to quit business
under the fire of the temperance people.
league is in rather a quiescent stage, judging from the little noise
that has been made for some time past in liquor circles by that
organization. It is said that some of the members cannot see much to
be gained by any special activity at this time, or while the democrats
are so firmly entrenched in power in Indiana, for the democratic
legislation on the liquor proposition has been such as to leave little
for the anti-saloon people to hope for from them. But the Anti-Saloon
league is going ahead in its own quiet way. keeping its lines well
drawn and standing ready to make a fight at any when the occasion
calls for it. Persons who have the idea because the league is quiet it
is riot in a healthy condition have another think coming." - Fort
Wayne News, June 26, 1913
The Kiley Brewing Company bought the assets
1934 - 1942
|Their main brand was Patrick Henry. The address was
525 Lincoln Blvd.
heavily in Ohio and Wisconsin in the 1930s.
Slogans: "Masters of All Ale, Stout,
Half-and-Half", "Patrick Henry, The beer with an ale base".
Capacity topped out at 200,000 bbls.
In 1936 they ran into an embarrassing
situation when the sales agent was named one of the highest salaried people
in the country. See the newpaper article
|Fox Deluxe Brewing
1942 - 1951
Kiley and the Patrick Henry brand ended up in the Grand Rapids, MI division
of Peter Fox out of Chicago. The brands were Fox Deluxe and Silver Fox.
Production ended in Marion in 1951.
|George Rettig & Son
1859 - 1867
Rettig & Cole
1867 - 1878
James O. Cole
1878 - 1905
1905 - 1908
|James Omer Cole and George
Rettig went to California in 1850 to do some gold prospecting. Rettig
returned to Peru after 4 years and Cole continued on in California, opening
Cole returned from
California in 1867 and had saved $30,000. This was well enough to buy into
the Rettig brewery and have a family fruit farm in South Peru (annexed by
Peru in 1914).
The firm of Rettig & Cole is referenced in
official documents in August 4, 1877 as owners of land that through which a
ditch would pass. Production was large for the time at 6,940 bbls peak.
"Last Friday noon we made a little run over to Peru and returned in
the evening. ... On our drive we expected to take in Col. Sol.
Hathaway, of Indianapolis, one of the rock-ribbed Hoosier newspaper
men, but after putting himself outside of one of Bob Pelkey’s ten
pound dinners it was thought unsafe to subject him to a shaking up
behind Kratzer’s careering steeds. From the water works we drove
across the river to Omer Cole’s (formerly Rettig’s) mammoth brewery,
where it is said the purest and best beer in Indiana is manufactured."
The Rochester Sentinel, February 7, 1879
Franklin J. Blair was killed in an
explosion at Cole's Brewery on July 18, 1885. Or maybe it was Maurice Burch,
or on July 25th.
"The large boiler in the COLE brewery at Peru exploded last Saturday
just at the dinner hour when all the workmen were away from the
building and out of danger. Unfortunately Maurice BURCH, a young man
whose home was in Liberty township, this county, in company with a
friend was in or near the building and was struck on the head by a
flying missile that fractured his skull, from the effects of which he
died the same evening. His remains were brought home for burial. The
engine room in which the boiler was located was two-story and it was
completely demolished, portions of it being thrown 400 feet distant.
Damages estimated at $4,000. The young man so suddenly and
unexpectedly killed, was about twenty-five years of age and said to be
a very fine and honorable gentleman." The Rochester Sentinel,
Wednesday, July 29, 1885
George Rettig is listed as having
"interests in brewery, pork packing & real estate" in 1888 according to the
book "Here We Live Over the Last Fifty Years", Peru and Miami County,
1885-1935 by Patricia Jones Settle.
The Cole Brewery was unionized by 1891 but
that union disbanded that year. An effort to re-form the union was attempted
There is reference to J. O. Cole being the
proprietor of Peru Brewery in 1905. By this time production was up to 12,000
Their beer, a bock among other styles, was
bottled in corked embossed bottles as shown at the left as well as 1-quart
The Cole brewing operation ended with local
option prohibition. By that time the family had a traveling circus and also
continued the Cole Bros. Natural Spring Water using the same spring that
supplied the brewery. This was sold in 2005 and 2006 by the Cole Water
Company, 52 Strawtown Pike, Peru. That company was sold to IdeaSphere Inc.
Cole Porter, born 1891, was given his his
mother's maiden name (J.O. Cole's daughter).
"Andrew Baldner once operated a brewery on Canal street, about a
square east of Broadway, and at one time it was one of the prosperous
business enterprises of Peru. Like the old water power woolen mill and
the distillery, (see below) it has disappeared and scarcely a trace of
these early industries remains to show where they stood." - History
of Miami County, Indiana, 1914
The only other references to Andrew Baldner
found are marriage records in Peru of him to Rosina Zehry in 1854 and to
Theressa Roedel in 1865.
|Hinton & Co.
|The 1886 Miami Business
Gazette lists a Hinton & Co. as brewers and wholesale ice.
"... Jesse Smith established a distillery at an early date. It did a
flourishing business until the passage of the internal revenue law
levying a tax upon spirits, when it was discontinued. A. C. Brownell
was interested in this institution during the latter part of its
existence." - History of Miami County, Indiana, 1914
This was located east of the woolen mill
near the canal east of the city.
1857 - 1884
"John Hoham, an old and honored citizen of Plymouth, was born in
Alsace, Germany, in the city of Strasburg, June 17, 1820. In
September, 1831, he left home and began working on a farm, and in 1840
came to the United States, landing in New York city after a voyage of
fifty-six days. ... He then came west, and in September, 1844, located
in Marshall county, Ind., purchasing a farm of eighty acres in the old
Indian reserve at Lake Maxinkuckee, in Union township. ... He disposed
of his farm in 1852 and purchased a farm of 200 acres in West
township. ... In October, 1857, he purchased three acres of land one
mile southwest of Plymouth, to which he at once removed and upon which
he erected the first brewery in Marshall county. He continued the
brewing business and in connection with the same carried on farming
and stock-raising quite extensively for a period of ten years, when he
sold the brewery to his brother-in-law and partner, John Klinghammer,
who continued the business, Mr. Hoham remaining possessor of the
outside property." - History of Indiana, Special Edition for
Marshall County, 1890
During the Civil War, "Mr. Hoham put in a
substitute, whose name was Alexandria Dunlap, and paid him $800." (same
source as above)
John Klinghammer was born in the Alsace
region of France and emigrated to the U.S. By 1874 he was living in Plymouth
and had a management role in the Hoham family brewery having married
Klinghammer's daughter, Mary, married Jacob
Weckerle, a local saloon keeper, and he joined the business in 1874.
The brewery produced 1,585 bbls of beer at
peak. We have not been able to find any brand names used.
Mansion (pictured) on Ind 17 on the southwest edge of Plymouth has a cellar
dug in 1857 in the yard under 9 feet of dirt. Down there are two
rooms, each 70 by 20 feet with high vaulted roofs and dirt floors. Brick
vats in these rooms were made for storage of a lager beer made in this
private brewery. These rooms were also reportedly used as part of the
|We've seen an
amber bottle, purportedly from the 1890's, for sale on eBay that is embossed
"Henry Stien, Plymouth IND".
|Eidleman & Haslett
???? - 1870?
"Dissolution Notice is hereby given that the partnership heretofore
existing between John B. Eidleman and Geo W. Haslett, in the brewery
business in Rochester, has, by mutual consent, been dissolved....
Either member of the late firm are authorized to settle." Rochester
Standard, Januarv 6, 1870
Eidleman may have continued brewing and is
possibly the same person involved in this story:
"John Adleman, the brewer, and one of his employees, were arrested
Saturday for stealing meat from Jake Rannels and chickens from James
Elliott." Rochester Union Spy , January 12, 1872
1873 - 1876
1876 - at least 1886
"We have trustworthy information to the effect that the Rochester
Brewery is now making a first-rate article of beer." Rochester
Union Spy, Thursday, Julv 24, 1873
"John B. Metzger (sic), of Wabash, has bought the old brewery at this
place and having refitted it throughout will begin brewing beer next
week." - Rochester Sentinel, November 4, 1876.
Metzler was also a pharmacist in town.
"The Rochester Brewery is now supplying its several customers with
what is pronounced good beer at less than city rates. By all of the
home trade patronizing the Rochester Brewery it is estimated that at
least $10,000 will be kept within the borders of Fulton county." -
Rochester Sentinel, Saturday, January 13, 1877
"Mr. Metzler, proprietor of the north end brewery has secured a good
lot of thick ice from Lake Manitau." - The Rochester Sentinel,
January 11, 1879
"The Rochester Brewery is in operation again turning out some fine
beer." The Rochester Sentinel, August 2, 1879
A story is told in the Rochester
News-Sentinel about people stopping at the Metzler Brewery in 1886 (located
in a triangular plot north of the Erie Railroad tracks and between them and
Monticello road, west of Main Street).
|Geo. O. Harlan &
Co. operated a distillery in Rochester in 1860 through around 1900.
There are 3 distilleries listed in Rochester
around 1900, George O. Harlan and Co., Metzler Brewery, and S. Wagoner & Co.
A bottling works was built in Rochester in
1900 by Howell & Wesson. They bottled soft drinks and beer.
YesterYear In Print about Warsaw of 1862-1863 "A fanning mill, a
brewery, and two foundries were in Warsaw about this time."
Lang & Randels built a brewery in Warsaw in
William Augustine had an ice house on North
Lake Street from 1865 to 1869 as well as a brewery.
The Warsaw Daily Times of October 19, 1901
says "That old church edifice after the Warners left his county and settled
in Iowa became the frame-work for the first brewery and the only one that
Warsaw ever had." This does not describe when, what church, which brewery,
or where it was located.
The Old Jail Museum in Warsaw has a
"blob-top" bottle of Athrope beer bottled in that town sometime around 1910.
The Mad Anthony Brewing
Company of Fort Wayne opened a tied house restaurant in Warsaw in
2008. No brewing is done at that location.
Copyright 2004, 2006, Bob